Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Where It All Went Wrong

Nathan has a point. A damn good point.

While reading his speech, Where It All Went Wrong I found myself nodding my head in agreement, and may or may-not have thrown out "You GO Glen Coco!" a time or two...Mean Girls, anyone?

I have come across so many bad examples of libraries trying to move into the future with a bunch of digitization projects and online resources/services --- just to say they are hip and cool and "with it". It makes me sad. Pumping out all of these digital things does not make you good at digital.  In Nathan's words, it makes you bad a digital. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Now is the time for libraries to step into the forefront of the digital information revolution and make themselves relevant in the digital world. Work together with other institutions - share knowledge, resources and ideas. Sharing is caring people.

Think ahead to future generations and how they may go about searching for digital information. What are they looking for?  How/where are they finding it? How are they using it?

And please, no more shitty digitization project websites. It hurts my eyes to look at them.

2 comments:

  1. In my best "mean girls" tone: "you go, girl!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree 100%. I think libraries throw themselves into digitization projects too often without asking why they are even doing it. Is it for preservation? Is it for access? I think there is a lot of pressure for libraries to try to be "innovative," and this often results in unnecessary digital projects. As you said, if libraries want to be at the forefront of providing digital services and content, they have to prioritize the user.

    ReplyDelete