Wednesday, March 4, 2015

DC Identifier Element Ideas...


I just thought I would put some ideas out there for my classmate and group member, Amy, as well as anyone else interested (or intimidated) by the identifier element.

Here are some examples that we use at work for the Paul R. Jones Collection of American Art at The University of Alabama:

PRJ2008.0135 - Here you can see the collection name represented (PRJ) as well as the year it was donated (2008). The last couple of numbers can relate to anything from the artist unique identifier or the order in which the piece was cataloged.

PRJ2008.135b - This would be the same as above but the "b" would stand for the second work in a series (first being PRJ2008.135a).

Also, take a look at what Publishers' Bindings Online did when deciding on a file naming structure for their digitization project. It may be helpful in breaking down the process: Publishers' Bindings Online: Project Manual - File Naming Structure

Do any of my other classmates have any input on file naming? I always like to see/hear how other people tackle this particular problem.

I hope this helps!

3 comments:

  1. I like the way you think! Knowing what we do about identifiers (that they must be unique), we are free to come up with a designed approach to their implementation in our application!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this! It's nice to see everyday tags you work with. The identifier breakdown is helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Katie, thanks so much for posting this. I think the b,c,d etc is a great way to keep track of versions of an image. I was just thinking of how to handle this. Sorry this is so late. Life's been insane.

    ReplyDelete