Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Relation Element Troubles

In an attempt the help Adam with the "Relation" element issues he posted about here, I will put in my two-cents. Even if it may not help.

I think I mentioned this in our small group meeting last class period but here goes... What if there was a an element that is already being used that would help identify the "IsPartOf, IsVersionOf etc) relationship WITHOUT infringing on anyone else element? Maybe using something like the Unique Identifier for instance. Like Adam pointed out in his post regarding the sample images in the wiki page: They are both taken within milliseconds of each other, therefore they are related. So could we set up the "Relation" element to represent the Unique Identifier of the other images (taken within mini seconds of each other) it is relating to?

Right Side: RELATION-----Left Side: UNIQUE IDENTIFIER OF RELATED IMAGES

I know we discussed the "IsPartOf" a certain play, such a a sequence of  photos depicting one certain play, but I am still having a hard time wrapping my head around it so I hope I have not made this any more confusing than it already is.

I would love to hear your thoughts!




5 comments:

  1. So, maybe, repeatable element that links to the URI of related images without the need for a complicated human-readable explanation for WHY they are related? Seems to me this could work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although leaving it that open would make people wonder why the relation. Maybe it should be renamed from "RELATION" to something more descriptive, perhaps "RELATED PLAY" or "PLAY SEQUENCE" or something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your post Katie. All these thoughts are helpful. I like where you are going with this and Nikki as well in her comments above. Maybe the label for Relation should be "SAME PLAY SEQUENCE AS" and then fill in the blank with the linked URI?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We won't be able to use URIs in this project, but there is an "Identifier" element in our element set that should do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just blogged about this! A three digit number at the end of the file name I believe shows the images position among all the other photos taken at the game. It could be an easy way to show which images are related to each other and is another vote for using the file name as the unique identifier.

    ReplyDelete