Sunday, April 12, 2015

Controlled Vocabulary and Content Standards Resources!

Christy's post "When Three Worlds Collide" inspired me to write this post. I understand her excitement when you stumble on something that brings it all together!

While working on my digital repository presentation, I was addressing the topic of content standards for my particular repository. Dealing with decorative book bindings from the 19th century, it is a combination of many of interests: graphic design, history, archives and art.

I discovered Getty Vocabularies provided by the Getty Research Institution after Dr. MacCall pointed me in their direction. I thought I would share a couple of resources for those of you interested in art/museum, special collections, archives librarianship. Cool stuff!

Art and Architecture Thesaurus Online (AAT): 
From Getty: "Catherine wheel or rose window? ATT is a structured vocabulary, including terms, descriptions, and theory informations for generic architecture, conservation, archaeology and other cultural heritage."

The Union List of Artist Names (ULAN):
From Getty: "Titian or Tiziano Vecellio? ULAN is a structured vocabulary, including names, biographies, related people, and other information about artists, architects, firms, studios, museums, patrons, sitters and other people involved in the creation and study of art and architecture."

The Cultural Objects Name Authority (CONA):
From Getty: "Mona Lisa or La Gioconda? CONA includes titles, attributions, depicted subjects, and other information about the works of art and architecture as derived from scholarly literature, museum collections, special collections, archives, libraries and indexing projects."


No comments:

Post a Comment