Sunday, April 12, 2015

Digital Repository Presentation

I have been working on my Digital Repository Presentation this weekend. I always begin these types of projects by creating a "script" type essay covering the points I need to hit on according to the assignment specs. So far, I have had a lot of fun investigation my repository and have had only one or two questions that I address directly to Dr. MacCall.

Now I have a couple more questions that I thought I would ask my classmates. For those of you working on a digital repository, how have you tackled #6 (Have the metadata records been harvested into federated search tools...) and #7 (What software is used to house the metadata records...)?

Lucky, I discovered a grant narrative and project manual that accompanied my repository which has provided a wealth of informative information but I am having trouble determining how/if the metadata has been harvested. A quick search on DPLA showed nothing in regards to my repository.

Also, I was able to find how my repository handled the storage of the digitized images but nothing about the actual metadata. It seems like it is being stored on the servers from both institutions responsible for the project. I have also found that they utilized program such as Microsoft Access and Excel for entering in metadata records...

So, how are y'all handling this in your prep for your presentation? Any advice is appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. I just checked DPLA and a did a Google search and found nothing. I made a note in my PowerPoint that I've emailed the Digital Librarian and asked her about the federated search aspect and will update the presentation when I hear back from her.

    My repository gave a detailed description of everything, they use Contentdm which seems to be the go to for a lot of repositories. You might just have to email someone and ask, but make a note in you presentation that you've done so. Hope this helps :)

    ReplyDelete