Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Questions about Opponent Element


I have been searching with no avail to find a listing of all the NCAA registered (?) colleges and the name of their team to help with the opponent element. Does anyone know of such a resource that will give me both the name of the school AND the team name that is legit?

I ask because I have decided to have the Opponent Element repeatable where the indexer will list not only the name of the school but also the team name so that a user can search by both.

I thought about just using the LOC Subject Authority Headings? 

Examples:

The University of Alabama
Crimson Tide

Louisiana State University (OR would this simply just be LSU?)
LSU Tigers

University of Mississippi
Ole Miss Rebels-- (or would this now be Black Bears?!)

Help! What do y'all think?

3 comments:

  1. I'm not sure about one master list, but most of the schools should have team names on their websites, right? So then a search for "LSU football" should bring up "LSU Tigers", or vice versa. Even if there isn't one long list, we have few enough pictures that it wouldn't be too difficult to find both for our individual set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although a comprehensive list of possible opponents would be very helpful, you may go ahead and just limit the list for this assignment to the actual opponents from the 1975 season and from the 2009 game (University of Texas).

    I'll have more to say on your element this evening in class .. good work so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Great Point LOC could work, One of the client questions I have is historical and was curious about on this post http://wp.me/p5BBfA-1U has info about Teams. I'm not sure what percentage of games were played in the NCAA.

    If they were this schema might help you on your quest http://bit.ly/ncaateamcodes (However you would want to look into history)

    ReplyDelete